Wednesday, May 15, 2013

“End of your turn I activate alchemist refuge and cast farseek”

“End of your turn I activate alchemist refuge and cast farseek”

Endless flicking of your cards as your control opponent desperately looks for a way to kill you. This feeling of the game being completely lost at this moment in time. Now as many people tell you play to your outs, never give an early concession the list goes on and on...

Now here's the truth, if your opponent has just cast a revelation for 6+, or their farseeking at the end of your turn with mana left over to counter something the writing is on the wall. Or if we switch formats, your opponent has a Jace at 11 counters and all your getting is useless Force of Wills, would you try to get that one draw or take an early lose and get some lunch before the next round. If your playing magic for the money, I'm going to quote a local shop owner here “your making less than minimum wage”.

If your playing magic for enjoying a tournament why not take the early loss and get a bite to eat and further enjoy the tournament environment instead of slowly grinding yourself into the ground playing to your outs, that might not even get you out...



Lets go on a little story time here; I was in the x-0 bracket at the star city open in Seattle, seating against Josh Ravitz playing reanimater vs my jund aggro. Game one goes as following turn 3 reanimate angel, take your guys, kill you... Alright shuffle in the hate, present draw 7, snap keep. The deck curves out until turn 4 miss the land drop, the mana dork dead, two aristocrats in hand and he has at least one Thragtusk in hand who's going to join the party next turn. Attack and say go, only thing you can do. Thragtusk joins the party. Draw no land, go... That feeling of having victory so close and then shot. With 30 minutes left in the round I said “I really lost this when I didnt get that land didnt I”

“Yeap”

“Well iama let you and your girlfriend enjoy the next 30 minutes” as signing the slip I noticed I just played a pro tour player. Here was an example of knowing that the game was over Thragtusk attacking, and a mulch hitting angel and a rites... I am sure I could have played to some outs and dragged out the game another 10 minutes or so but who's in for that. Spoiler I ended that tournament at the x-4 bracket. But who's counting. And the next day playing legacy 0-4 drop, lets just say combo players don’t like Thoughtseize into Hymn to Tourach. But that's another rant for another day.

Let me get back on this train for a little longer, because this train wont stop until we hit our destination. I mean really when you go to a tournament are you looking for the destination or are you all in for the adventure of doing something that is out of the normal. For example when I was at SCG Sea, it was my first REL event or what ever its called (major tournament. Etc....) there were judges and deck lists, and pros, and many ample opportunities for me to get my self a game loss. For those who have never been to a larger event to play in I highly recommend you take you time, enjoy it while it lasts. I can only say that if it is a grand prix and your doing well, stay calm and (I really don't want to say this) carry on! Because if you are in the top 120+ people who do make day 2 you really are going to wish you took care of your self the day before. Just attending event to spectate can take a toll on the human body.

Lets get another somewhat decent tip of advice from the total new guy here. If you do get called over to talk to the head judge about having some sideboard problems (flipped upside down, wrong number, see through, etc...) tell the truth, if you get nervous even if it wasn't on purpose just roll with the punches and ride the lightning. Because the judges are there to make the game play experience as great as it can be for not only you but everyone else in attendance. But to clarify that you can Cloudshift a Sin Collector to stop a miracle trigger.
Again, just another tangent thought that I feel I haven’t addressed well enough is the factor of knowing when its right to scoop and when its not right. I mean there is the obvious, dead on board draw for turn and its a land... But the more of like what I had written about near the top of this article. When you see that your opponent has gotten so far ahead that even if you were to draw the best card it still not enough is probably when you should scoop. I'm not going to lie knowing this moment takes experience from playing and there is no tail tale sign on when to but its more of that being in the moment and going with what feels right.

Either way I know this article was a tad short but maybe that's just how the game needs to be; for one to better them self for the next round. So you can take the round, draft, daily, or game at your local commander meet-up. I do hope you take some hints when you travel to your next event even if it is the local FNM because you gotta wake up to your self.

Till Next Time

Troy

No comments:

Post a Comment